Tuesday, October 7, 2008

respect for old boats in neah bay 10-7-08

Neah Bay is in the Olympic Peninsula , the most nw point of the continental U.S. where the Strait of Juan de Fuca meets the Pacific Ocean. It's also part of the Native American reservation for Makah Nation. Nearby is Vancouver Island, Canada, Cape Flattery, Shi Shi, and miles of beach. Since we don't have a car and we're walking, we're limited to the small town which is between the mini-mart and the Makah Museum. So that leaves the harbor for exploring.

And then there are the old boats. At the far end of the harbor were two docks I call the boat graveyard. I could feel the sadness as I walked past each boat. Broken windows, weeds growing topside, and covered in moss, who knows what happened before they were abandoned at the docks. I took these pictures with respect for their past history and to dignify their existence.



There's something about that circular shape that attracks me.



I saw this sign at the end of the dock which required me to climb onto a fish-cleaning raft.



I'm not sure what the nautical term is for this rack.








We didn't see any ficious sea lions but we also didn't see any children. Hmmm.

I'm having a ball taking snapshots while we wait for the weather to clear. Looks like we'll leave at dawn tomorrow, Wednesday, to head south.






No comments: