Friday, February 5, 2010

you call this sleep?

the cockpit would be a comfortable place to sleep if the benches were wider

If you’re not interested in the fine nuances of overnight passages, you can avoid this piece.

We start watches at 6pm with 2 hours on, 2 hours off, until 4am the following morning. Sleep, at some point is critical. This passage, from Zihautanejo to Hautulco, was hot and slow with almost no wind. Attempting to sleep down below was almost impossible. I prefer the v berth in the bow, Jim prefers the seatee in the main area. Here’s what it’s like for me to get the slightest bit of shut-eye.

I crawl into the v berth which feels like a wet diaper. Dampness everywhere. I flop face down like a steamrollered snow angel. Strategically flattened between 2 small fans and the open hatch above. Not a great position considering I’m suffering from a head cold and sinus infection, but necessary to prevent constant body rolling. Soon I’m flying up and down in sync with the bow. Fun ride if you’re 8 but not so good if you’re trying to sleep. Then the sounds. Wham blamblamblam. Wham blamblamblam. Thwack.  Thwack.  Thwack. Swish swish gurgle gurgle, swish swish gurgle gurgle. Oh, and it’s 4pm so it’s bright daylight and I'm trying to trick my body into it being night.  It's hard work.  You call this sleep?

No comments: