Sunday, March 1, 2009

leaving san diego march 1


And now it’s Sunday morning just after 6:30am and I’m going back and forth between the Laundromat and Starbucks. Last night we had dinner with about a dozen members of the Southwest Yacht Club where we’re docked just now. What a nice group of people so willing to share their experiences of travel, including cruising in Mexico. We’ve enjoyed San Diego so much. It’s a real boat town. Oh and I almost forgot to mention the ducks. The yacht club ducks are friendly greeters whenever I walk up the ramp to the parking lot. They come running as I do my best Buster Duck imitation for conversation.

What I learned - Talking with the guy at the fuel dock the other day I asked him about some of the mega yachts we see berthed nearby. He pointed to one that takes on 10,000 gallons of diesel, another that takes on 15,000. and last week a yacht came in and got 50,000 gallons!! Yes that’s FIFTY THOUSAND. The fuel dock storage tanks only hold 15,000 so they had to arrange for fuel trucks to keep coming in. at $2 a gallon that’s a huge investment.

Errands are done, boat is loaded down with food and we’re ready to leave this afternoon in time to arrive in Ensenada Monday morning for check-in. More to come once we’re in Mexico.

No comments: