Monday, March 16, 2009

scrubbing and smoked pork chops















It must be 80 plus outside during the day but gets very chilly in the evenings. Last Friday and Saturday I walked into town and back which takes two hours. Even at 7:30 in the morning the malecon (wide sidewalk along the water) was busy with locals exercising. They have an area with sit-up boards and such right by the water. Saturday morning a guy had his scale out so you could weigh in. Probably a Weight Watchers meeting. Anyway, so much has changed since I was here in '95, especially the malecon. Sculptures and benches are in abundance and lots of new restaurants.

Back at the boat I’ve been keeping busy scrubbing and cleaning the boat. It's like cleaning a huge bathroom 24/7. Sunday I spent 2 hours assembling the remaining overhead cover in the cockpit. It was exhausting and time consuming but oh so much cooler with some privacy out there. Jim’s giving me knot tying lessons and I whipped my first line so it won’t unravel. I wonder how these will work themselves into my artwork when I get back to it.

We’ve spent quite a bit of time with long-time friends of Jim, Alex and Edith, who were kind enough to take us to the supermercado for our first shopping experience. It was overwhelming as we picked our way through the aisles trying to find things we needed and to decipher the packaging. I’m still looking for ginger and cayenne pepper. I’m going through Trader Joe withdrawal at this very moment. Alex showed Jim where to buy smoked pork chops and good sausages--I'm sure HIS highlight of the day.
pictures are of the sunshade and then my practice piece of line for the bowline and figure eight. the other one is of the whipped line. not very creative but more informative. sorry it's taken me so long to get this up but wifi here is unpredictable and during the day almost impossible to access.







No comments: