Friday, September 12, 2008

consignment shopping sept 4 08




Breakfast at Sea J’s always brings an unusual mix of conversations among the customers. I overheard discussions about alcoholism sprinkled with denial and dry drunk behavior, heart attacks and neighborly concern, how the upcoming wooden boat show will overcrowd the area. I contemplated what it must be like to live your whole life in a place like this where you know, see and interact with everyone—all the locals that is. Comparing it to the bay area where so many transient people allow one to easily disappear or become invisible.

The afternoon I spent wandering downtown while Jim met with the cabinet person and surveyor. I found a couple consignment shops (those who know me know this is my favorite way to shop) and made another trip to the bookstore. Browsing through one of the clothing stores I overheard the familiar female conversations between shopping buddies and for the first time felt homesick. I thought at Rockridge Rags and other places I’ve been with Dorit, Isabel, Cynthia and Rupama.

Jim met me at the food co-op. I struck the motherlode with all the organic and vegetarian foods. Split pea hummus, slather (pureed celery, garlic, sunflower seeds and who knows what else), brown rice and gently caught salmon cakes. There’s a certain smell from health food stores that I find comforting and I was delighted to have discovered them.
The pictures are from the food co-op garden. A sunny place to sit and hang out.

No comments: