Tuesday, September 9, 2008

loss on a beautiful august 31 08 day




We left in the morning and motored around to Lopez Sound where lots of small islands and big rocks protrude. We anchored at Bight and immediately got into the kayaks to check out Small Island. Because it’s a wildlife refuge we had to stay 200 yards away which made it hard to really see anything. It was covered with seals until they saw us coming then they all disappeared into the water. What ensued was a game of spying on each other. I’d turn my head and see a shiny black head staring at me, then it would disappear only minutes later to pop up someplace else. They were as curious about us as we were about them but as soon as eye contact was made they were gone but continued to follow us and pop up occasionally.

Tragedy struck when I got out of the kayak and couldn’t find my camera, okay it's technically Jim's camera but I'm the one's who's been using it. I thought I was so methodical putting it back in my zip-up pocket but somehow it fell out. I was devastated and felt I’d lost an extension of myself. Fortunately I’m in the habit of downloading shots each day. But still, it was a sad end to a beautiful day.


As for the pictures, I couldn't believe how tiny the sailboat was. I don't see a motor, he's paddling, a purist at heart. The other is one of many shots I've taken of the water surface. I continue to be fascinated by that sort of thing.

No comments: