Wednesday, July 23, 2008

july 22 - farmers market and new tastes







Farmers market – perfect timing, had only a half hour wait and was able to talk with Trina on the phone. Lots of local produce, some crafts and such. Tried a couple new foods. Something called longan or dragon’s eye. She broke it open and I popped this gelatinous white thing in my mouth. It was liquidy and refreshing. I looked it up on the internet and it’s also known as long yan rou, used as an herbal medicine for fatigue, emotions, mental restlessness, insomnia, palpitations, poor memory and dizziness. Except for the dizziness I think it’s just what I need. (it's the small white thing)

Then I tried Soursops. Big green things with soft thorns, the lady gave me a sample and since she let me take pictures of it I sorta felt obligated to try it. It was okay but I sure wouldn’t buy one for eating. Maybe for photographing. It’s described as acid flavor and fibrous consistency, cut in sections and the flesh is eaten with a spoon. The seeded pulp may be torn or cut into bits and added to fruit cups or salads, or chilled and served as dessert with sugar and a little milk or cream. Yea sure. (it's the big green thing)
They have markets every day except Sunday and they all seem to start about 2 or 3 or 4pm. i'm not sure why so late, unless it's to accommodate the surfers? also discovered a couple of flea markets. I can't disappoint Dorit, i have to find them although it won't be the same without her.


1 comment:

Dorit Elisha said...

Ohhhh..lucky you!
Could you do me a big favor and post some pictures of the flea markets? If I can't be there, at least I want to see what I am missing..