Thursday, July 24, 2008

july 23 - sunset mosquitoes



Wednesday evening sunset. On the patio it’s breezy and I’m watching the sky change from blue and grey to yellowish orange pastel. Chickens and roosters are settling in for the night and the morning doves have finally disappeared. Periodically I hear the gecko calling from inside.

It feels magical to sit here feeling the air move, watch the sky change color, hear the final bird calls and be typing away on my laptop. I have too many mosquito bites to count, my hair is matted into twin damp braids, and aside from missing Jim (and the animals) I’m quite content.

Got out early today, before 9am and decided to locate Hanalei Pavilion where families and friends of the racers will gather. I suspect Jim will arrive late Saturday or sometime Sunday. Then headed south to Kaapa. Didn’t make the farmer’s market but did find a recycled clothing shop (nothing there for me) and thought of Dorit. Decided to head north again to Anini beach. What a great drive down a curvy road along the ocean. So many picturesque spots to chose from, accessible and not crowded. It felt good to finally swim in the ocean and lounge in the shade between beachcombing expeditions. Thought about all the “shopping in nature” Cynthia and I do at the cabin.

Stopped for groceries and once home made the most wonderful sandwich—fresh basil, tomatoes, avocado, cucumbers, red peppers, lettuce all from the farmers market yesterday, rosemary/olive oil sourdough bread, and pepper jack cheese. Yum.

No comments: