Friday, July 25, 2008

July 24 - jackfruit and mangoes and comraderie









Inconsistent sleep patterns continue to haunt me. Up very late, waking up early, disoriented to time change and date, my whole routine is thrown to the wind. Eating 2 small meals a day and I’m not retaining water anymore so sausage fingers are almost gone. I wish I could say the same for my stomach.
Anyway, drove to a section of Hanalei Bay to sit on the beach, read “An Embarrassment of Mangoes” and go swimming. Checked out the local health food store and ate salad on the grass while overhearing a group of kids gossiping about each other’s personal lives. I’m so glad I’m beyond that phase of life. Back home I went swimming, then to the farmer’s market to sample and buy new to me fruits like jackfruit and mangoes (http://www.princekuhioresort.com/jackfruit/jackfruit.html for explanation and visual). Jackfruit was surprisingly juicy and refreshing and the namdocmai mango tasted the best of the varieties available. I took a picture of a cashew fruit but can't as yet find information about it. And this guy's coconuts were huge. Actually all the fruit was enormous compared to what I see at home.

Back at Hanalei Bay I met some of the wives also waiting for their sailor husbands. One sailor came in at 6am this morning (Al on boat Dogbark) and Jeff on Hecla is due in about 10pm tonight. We were able to listen to the evening roll call although it was really hard to hear most of the boats checking in. I appreciated meeting these women who are going through the same adrift feeling of waiting alone for their husbands to show up. Looks like Jim will arrive around 3pm Sunday slightly behind schedule due to the encroaching pacific high and lack of wind early in the race.

Another day another sunset.

No comments: