Thursday, July 17, 2008

july 5 - weather dyslexia

Saturday Lori (one of our crew for the HI-San Juan leg of the trip) took me clothes shopping for the appropriate range of layers so I can stay warm and dry. I’m weather dyslexic, lacking the ability to compute temps to appropriate clothing needed. I’m now completely covered head to toe for whatever comes at us. I doubt we’ll have really cold weather this time of year in the NW but standing watching at midnight can get cold.

Today begins the serious food prep for the trip from HI to NW and it’s very complicated. After about 10 days nothing will be fresh and we’ll have to rely on cans and boxes, all the while watching our propane and water consumption (4 people use a lot). We estimate about 21 days sailing but want extra in case it takes longer. It’s really confusing to figure it all out. Oh, and did I mention space is at a premium? I'm already worried about TJ withdrawal.

There was a casual gathering of transpac racers in Alameda this afternoon. I had the opportunity to meet a very interesting sailor, Jeanne, who I’d just heard about yesterday. She had quite an ordeal trying to get her boat over for the race. When I got home later I checked out her website. Quite an amazing woman. Click here: Sailing Vessel Nereida - Welcome to my journeys

So that’s it for me. I’ll be out running errands, cooking, baking, and scouring my books for recipes.

No comments: