Thursday, July 17, 2008

sunday july 6 - meal prep still




Went online to check about where to find irradiated milk. For meal planning I figure the first week out no one will want to be below deck cooking so it has to be boiling pouches in water and sandwiches made on deck. The pressure cooker will be fine with this, although I still haven’t taken it out of the box. Am I pressure cooker phobic?

Several friends have asked why we have crew when we leave HI. We need crew from HI to NW because it’s a huge ocean crossing of 2100 miles and we’ll need extra people to lessen the stress of standing watch at night (always sailing, no pulling over for a nap). Someone always has to be at the helm keeping an eye out for shipping traffic or unexpected weather etc. Usually it's 4 hours on, 4 hours off. That's pretty grueling for such a long crossing so the more people the easier the watches will be. Future traveling, once I know what I’m doing and can be considered knowledgeable crew, will be just the two of us.

Jim sails over to Tiburon this coming Thursday morning so I’ll drop him off in Berkeley in the morning and head on over to meet him. I’ll stay on the boat until he leaves Saturday about noon. I’m more anxious about getting everything done and on the boat by Wednesday or very early Thursday morning and the idea of him leaving won’t settle in until he’s actually casting off.

Back to the meal prep.

No comments: